We believe that a diverse and open community is a strong one! We support organizations that promote diversity among their leadership and employees.
Who We Fund
You must be a 501(c)3 organization, and be located in one of the following 11 counties in Northwest Oregon:
- Benton County
- Clackamas County
- Lane County
- Lincoln County
- Linn County
- Marion County
- Multnomah County
- Polk County
- Tillamook County
- Washington County
- Yamhill County
- We are able to fund government agencies in Polk and Yamhill Counties. Please call us for a special link to our Letter of Inquiry process. 503-879-1400
What We Fund
Our program areas are broad and left intentionally undefined to allow our applicants the greatest flexibility in seeking funds. If you aren't sure where your project fits, please contact us.
- Arts & Culture
- Historic Preservation
- Environmental Preservation
- Public Safety
- Problem Gaming
As a relatively small funder, there are some projects that simply fall out of our funding scope and are not eligible:
- Organizations that have not completed their previous SMCF grant.
- Debt retirement
- Domestic animal programs (Shelters)
- Economic development or community revitalization
- Events including fundraisers, conferences, concerts, and sponsorships.
- Indirect or overhead costs, except those expenses that specifically and essentially relate to the grant project. These costs should be a small percent of the total request
- Institutions that in policy or practice unfairly discriminate based on race, ethnic origin, sex, creed or religion.
- Multi-year funding.
- Pass-through funding to organizations that are not tax-exempt.
- Projects or organizations that propagandize or influence elections
- Projects within sectarian or religious organizations that primarily serve their own members or adherents.
- Replacement funding for activities or materials previously supported by federal, state or local public funds.
- Sporting complexes, equipment, or other sports related projects.
We value this work, but in the interest of funding a range of programming, the Board has chosen some limits.
General Purpose Grants
As a responsive funder, SMCF supports a wide range of organizations and projects. We have two general purpose grant programs, Small and Large Grants.
SMALL GRANT CHANGES for 2018
Small Grant requests will NO LONGER require a Letter of Inquiry.
Small Grants will be awarded quarterly
$7,500 LimitApply Now
Large grants are more for programmatic proposals and capital projects. These are accepted and funded quarterly, and can be extremely competitive.
$50,000 Programmatic Limit
$100,000 Capital Limit